Custom Permalinks Return 404 Errors
If you are getting 404 error when accessing pages, please see the information below.
When you try to setup your WordPress installation and new theme. You navigate to Admin >> Settings >> Permalinks then selected something different with the default option. And what you get is a generic “404 Error- Page not found” message. What should you do now?
Firstly, let us explain this situation. This is not a theme issue. This problem is belong to core WordPress installation or web server configuration. It cause because of few things:
- Apache II mod_rewrite module is not being loaded by your web server.
- Your WordPress .htaccess file is missing or not writeable by the web server.
- Apache II is configured to disallow overrides by your .htaccess file.
So the question is how can you fix it?
There are several ways to fix your problem. Try one of the solutions below:
- Make sure that mod_rewrite is installed and enabled on your Apache II web server, and the web server allows your .htaccess file to override the server directory configuration.
- Check your WordPress to make sure it includes .htaccess file. If it is not, you can create a blank file, name it .htaccess and upload it to WordPress installation folder.
- Set permission on your .htaccess file that allows your web server to write to the file – CHMOD 666.
- Set your permalinks options to the “ default” option and save the change. Then set it to something different with the default and save the change.
- If the web server can write .htaccess file, then this file will contain new directives that set rewrite rules for your custom permalink option.
- If it can not write, your permalinks screen will inform you that you need to add manually your need into .htaccess file. Then you have to save it and upload back to the WordPress installation folder.
- Check the result to make your you can navigate front page menu links without the error.
- If this solutions can’t help, please contact to web host support team for further assistance.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information.